Grade 7 Entrance Scholarship Program
TFS awards one full scholarship to an incoming Grade 7 student who demonstrates high academic standing, involvement in his/her school and/or community, as well as financial need. As this is a full scholarship covering tuition, uniform, books and incidental fees, we define financial need as a family’s inability to pay for any part of TFS’ tuition fees.
The TFS Grade 7 Entrance Scholarship is renewable every year until graduation, if the student maintains an average of 80% and meets the conditions noted below.
Students do not need to speak French to apply, but must be keenly interested in becoming bilingual.
Applications for the 2017-18 scholarship are now closed. Check this space in the fall of 2017 for the following year’s opportunities.
Students wishing to enter Grade 7 are encouraged to apply in the fall for the following school year.
The Grade 7 Entrance Scholar will be selected based on academic merit, involvement in school-related and/or community activities and financial need. As this is a full scholarship, we define financial need as a family’s inability to pay for any part of TFS’ tuition fees.
- Students currently in immersion or French schools can apply, as well as those in English-language schools. Those who are not fluent in French will enter our special Intro program for the first year, which follows the regular curriculum but with a special focus on language acquisition.
We are happy to help candidates through the application process. Please contact the Admissions office if you would like support. If the fees for the SSAT or the Apple Financial application present a challenge, please contact the Admissions office. Please note: applications for the 2017-18 school year are now closed. Further questions should be directed to the Admissions office.
- Complete the Grade 7 Entrance Scholarship application, including the personal statement letter.
- Submit your most recent report card and the previous two years’ final reports. The academic record should demonstrate a minimum A average. Include any special awards or records of achievement.
- Submit two (2) letters of recommendation. These can be from a teacher, school administrator, coach or other adult (non-family member) who is knowledgeable about your strengths, accomplishments, special interests and potential.
- Write the SSAT. When registering for a testing date, use TFS – Canada’s International School’s ID number, 7685, to ensure results are sent to us.
- Send the Confidential School Report to your current school to be completed and forwarded directly to TFS.
- Submit the financial assessment application to Apple Financial by December 31 before the coming school year.
- If currently in a French program, you will be asked to write the TFS entrance French test.
- Attend a personal interview with the Scholarship Committee.
- As the pioneer of French immersion in Canada, TFS provides an exceptional bilingual education that is academically rigorous and balanced. Our students graduate fully bilingual in French and English, and obtain the internationally recognized IB Diploma; many students opt to complete the bilingual IB Diploma. The IB is renowned for its inquiry-based approach and breadth and depth of subjects. It provides students with a hands-on learning experience, connected to the real world, and gives them an advanced foundation, ensuring they receive a well-rounded education.
- Renowned for our strength in academics and languages, TFS also offers a wealth of co-curricular activities, sports and arts. Our unofficial motto is “friends for life,” and in our co-educational environment, young men and women learn teamwork, teambuilding and cooperative behaviour together. TFS prepares its students to enter the university and career of their choice, while becoming engaged citizens of the world.
- Consistent with TFS’ yearly results, 100% of our graduates of 2016 were distinguished as Ontario Scholars (averages of 80%+) and 81% had averages above 90%. Seventy percent received a grade of five or above (out of seven) on their Higher Level IB diploma courses, giving them second-year standing in those courses at university. In addition to exemplary academics, these graduates spent 8,300 hours volunteering in the community over the two Diploma Program years. Not surprisingly, 100% received university offers of choice, with an impressive total of $2 million earned in scholarship offers, an amount garnered primarily from entrance scholarships, which are based on academic grades. This year’s class also included three recruited athletes.
- The scholarship includes tuition, uniform, books and incidental fees for each year until graduation.
- Scholarship candidates must meet the academic criteria, have demonstrated involvement in school and/or community life and require financial support in order to be considered.
- Scholarship offers will be awarded the February before the coming school year, based on the scholarship’s criteria. The scholarship recipient must re-apply to Apple Financial each year in order to re-qualify. He/she is also required to maintain a minimum 80% overall grade average each year and actively participate in school life. The one-time initial registration fee will be waived.
- The entrance scholar will be asked to reflect on his/her experience at TFS, and participate in scholarship-related events and marketing materials.
- Scholarship funds are limited and the school has a duty to take all reasonable steps to ensure their correct allocation.
- Applicants must meet the financial criteria as assessed by Apple Financial Services. Information and all accompanying documentation must be submitted to Apple Financial by December 31 before the coming school year.
- Parents must sign an agreement form after which the scholarship will be applied.
- The scholarship recipient agrees to provide an annual letter of appreciation to the Scholarship Committee Chair, in which he/she will include a progress update highlighting academic achievements, co-curricular involvement and impact of a TFS education on his/her development.
- All applications are treated in the strictest confidence. However, the scholarship recipient agrees that his/her first name and any or all parts of his/her letter and/or annual progress update may be used in print and online materials to support fundraising or marketing purposes.
A snapshot of our graduating students
As a university preparatory school, the crux of the TFS story is in our students, and where they choose to study and forge their careers. In 2015 alone, 100% of our graduates were distinguished as Ontario Scholars (averages of 80%+) and 84% had averages above 90%.
In addition to exemplary academics, these graduates collectively spent 10,000 hours volunteering in the community. Not surprisingly, 100% received university offers of choice, with an impressive total of $2.4 million earned in scholarship offers, among 79 graduates.
To find out more, please contact our Admissions team at:
416-484-6533, ext. 4247