Position: Dean of Student Life
Position Type: Full Time, Permanent Position, 1.0 FTE Junior School/La P’tite école
Number of positions: 1 positions: 1.0 FTE
Hours of work: School operational business hours, Monday to Friday
Branches: Junior School 0.5/LPE 0.5
Locations: Toronto Campus: 296 Lawrence Avenue East, Toronto ON M4N 1T7
Start Date: August 28, 2023
About the position:
A member of the JS/LPE leadership team, the Dean of Student Life will make a meaningful contribution to the School’s ambitious educational philosophy and strategic plan, encouraging, preparing, and supporting the development of a pluralistic, engaged and inclusive community, including inquisitive and active young citizens. You will work under the supervision of the Principal, as well as in close collaboration with the Executive Director, Citizenship and Global education, the Vice-Principals, the teachers and students.
Your main responsibility will be to lead initiatives with a focus on encouraging engagement, a sense of belonging and pride in our school community. You will have to champion opportunities for a balanced education that promotes a variety of rich learning-to-lead events and personal growth experiences that inspire our students to be risk-takers, open-minded, and reflective.
The Dean of Student Life’s specific duties will include, but will not be restricted to the following:
- Help with the organization of assemblies, development of and support for the mentorship program
- Coordinates clubs and after school events: development and coordination of extra-curricular school programs and co-curricular activities.
- Using an Equity, Diversity and Inclusion lens, ensure the school promotes all aspects of student welfare, including student well-being, social-emotional learning, and bullying prevention initiatives.
- Organization of a meaningful and curriculum-related community outreach events
- Support the Executive Director, Citizenship and Global education for trip organization at the JS/LPE
- Organization, coordination, and promotion of student life and Houses’ activities that promote school spirit and allow for students to build on their current strengths and to explore new interests
- Involvement in and organization and supervision of student orientation and transition programs
- Coordinate and collaborate with indigenous groups
- Monitoring of Student governance institutions and promotion of students’ leadership opportunities
- Organization and coordination of and support for Parents Association events
- Secure strong and sustainable working partnerships with parents and teachers.
The school may, from time-to-time, alter these duties and/or assign additional duties and responsibilities to the Dean of Student Life at its sole discretion.
What we offer:
TFS is an exceptional place to work, and our offers are generous as well as competitive in the marketplace in terms of:
- A competitive compensation
- An attractive group insurance package and participation in a RRSP plan or OTPP
- Generous vacation policy and additional paid time off
- A stimulating working environment
- Multiple Professional development opportunities
- A rewarding career where you can make a difference
Who we are looking for:
We recruit candidates who embrace our TFS values of integrity, discernment, respect, and engagement. The ideal individual for this position will have the below:
- Bachelor of Education or equivalent,
- Related experience in Guidance or a similar field to manage effectively the issues (socio-emotional, personal, and academic) that arise with the students
- Experience in working with youth in volunteer programs and/or clubs; proven ability to build positive rapport and to create strong personal connections with students
- Ability to work in Google Drive, Docs, and with other on-line, interactive formats
- Excellent proficiency in written and oral French and English
- Highly motivated creative thinker, self-starter, and problem-solver who takes initiative, is an excellent communicator with strong time management skills and an ability to work with a variety of stakeholders (i.e., students, travel agencies/non-profit organizations, teachers of different grade levels and subject areas),
- Understanding of IB program
- Has a willingness to learn and demonstrates a proven ability to develop and to implement new, sustainable programs.
TFS welcomes applications from Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, visible minorities, persons of all sexual orientations and gender identities, and all others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities. If you require accommodation, please notify us in advance and we will work with you to meet your needs. TFS is committed to providing accommodation throughout the recruitment and selection process.
Effective for the 2023-24 school year, TFS highly recommends COVID-19 vaccination for all members of the community. New employees may share their vaccination status with the Human Resources Department upon the start of their employment, if they so choose.
Interested and qualified candidates should submit a cover letter and a résumé as soon as possible. Please use the candidate portal through the link provided HERE